The Minneapolis VA Medical Center depends on the goodwill of our benefactors and volunteers who wish to give something back to America's heroes.
Our Volunteers in 2012:
In 2012 we had a dedicated workforce of over 2,000 volunteers that provided over 222,000 hours of the most precious commodity any of us have and that is their time. You can find volunteers throughout the medical center and in virtually every service line as well as the 347 volunteer drivers that traveled 905,723 miles throughout Minnesota and Western Wisconsin providing transportation to the VA for medical care and treatment for 13,552 Veterans in 2012.
While its difficult to put a value on the skills, talents and abilities our devoted volunteers provide to the VA and the Veterans we serve, the value of the time they selflessly donated was close to $5 million in 2012.
Volunteer opportunities are available for adults and students who are at least 14 years old. Individuals and groups are welcome. Volunteers can work with patients or "behind the scenes" to help the VA run smoothly. Sample assignments—
- Spend time with veterans – read to them; play cards or games; help with crafts; take patients on walks, or share your hobbies
- Escort - push patients in wheelchairs to their appointments
- Provide clerical help such as answer telephones, make copies, file records, run errands, assist clinics with setup, check-in patients, make patient appointment reminder calls and process outgoing correspondence
- Assist patients with programs such as My HealtheVet, Living Well classes and Fit for Life
- Assist with patient services in the library, pharmacy, lab, physical therapy, occupational therapy, adult day health care, blind and low vision program, spinal cord injury, canteen, and gift shop
- Visit hospice patients and provide support to family members (training will be provided)
- Visit with homebound veterans providing respite to their caregiver and companionship to the veteran
- Support programs, projects and activities
- Provide personal care items
- Sponsor or help with bingo, games or other parties for inpatients
- Provide game prizes
The following is a list of items in need by some of our programs:
To volunteer or make a donation to benefit veterans at the medical center, call the Voluntary Service office at (612) 725-2050.
To review the volunteer training materials, click on the Minneapolis VAMC Volunteer Handbook.
Volunteer or Donate
Voluntary/Community Resource Service Office
Minneapolis VA Medical Center
Email: VHAMIN VOL@va.gov