Minneapolis VA Health Care System
Hybrid Operating Room Opens at Minneapolis VA
A new hybrid operating room suite is opening January 2017 at the Minneapolis VA medical center.
What is a Hybrid OR Suite?
An intraoperative x-ray system (i.e., Hybrid OR Suite) allows surgeons to perform minimally invasive procedures with higher diagnostic and procedural resolution than is available with current instrumentation. This allows for shorter lengths of stay and quicker recovery times for the Veteran population. The technology has an unprecedented flexibility in a hybrid setting.
Vascular, cardiac, and neurological surgical procedures often require x-ray technology and contrast media for spatial visualization. Coupled with industrial robot technology integrated in the system, a surgeon can move the C-arm of the x-ray system to almost any position around the patient. This makes it easier than ever before to visualize internal organs from various sides, and minimizes the need for traditionally invasive surgeries.
The hybrid room makes the OR suite versatile, since it retains its ability to be a standard OR as well as turn the room into a very powerful angiographic imaging suite based on the procedure.
- Improve delivery of patient services: Allowing minimally invasive procedures to take place in the hybrid OR setting improves patient services. Surgeons no longer have to use portable C-arms or worry about having to transport the patients to a cath lab setting.
- Improve staff recruitment and retention in critical areas: Using state-of-the-art hybrid OR technology makes it easier to recruit renowned vascular surgeons.Improve patient diagnostic capability - A hybrid OR system provides much higher diagnostic confidence than a portable c-arm. It also has a larger field of view than a typical cath lab would.
- Improve patient diagnostic capability: A hybrid OR system provides much higher diagnostic confidence than a portable c-arm. It also has a larger field of view than a typical cath lab.
- Improve customer satisfaction and patient safety: Minimally invasive procedures increase patient satisfaction and patient safety and decrease healing time as well as lengths of stay.
- Decrease Operational Costs: Increasing the amount of minimally invasive procedures reduces length of stay in the hospital, lowering operational costs.
Ribbon Cutting and Tours
Hybrid Operating Room Ribbon Cutting & Tours start at 2 p.m., Tuesday, January 3, 2017. Please meet in the 2nd Floor Flag Atrium.
Minneapolis VA Hybrid OR photo album