Minneapolis VA Health Care System
Cancellation of Elective Surgeries and Procedures
Out of an abundance of caution due to COVID-19 and to limit the risk of exposure to patients and staff, Minneapolis VA Health Care System (VAPAHCS) is cancelling all elective surgeries and procedures, effective immediately and until further notice.
While the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) still considers COVID-19 to be a low threat to the general American public, several Veterans, staff and volunteers fall into the high-risk categories that are susceptible to this virus. These additional measures will help protect some of our most vulnerable patients and reduce the risk of exposure to our health care workers.
In addition to these new measures, everyone who currently enters any MVAHCS facility is pre-screened. Since this lengthens entry times into the facility, patients are advised to allow extra time when arriving for their appointments.
We thank you for your patience as we work diligently to protect the health and well-being of our Veterans and staff.
Veterans and staff alike are encouraged to take everyday preventive actions to avoid being exposed to the virus:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home if you are sick or becoming sick.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- If you have symptoms or have been exposed to someone with symptoms, call the VA before going to the facility.
For more information about the Coronavirus, please visit the national Public Health website.