Minneapolis VA Health Care System
Joshua P. Nixon, PhD
Deputy Associate Chief of Staff for Research and Development, Minneapolis VA Health Care System
Adjunct Assistant. Professor, Department of Food Science and Nutrition, University of Minnesota
- BS, Michigan State University
- PhD, Michigan State University
- Brain mechanisms of energy expenditure
- Neuroprotection and neurodegeneration
- Role of peptide hormones in obesity resistance
- Traumatic brain injury and obesity
- Butterick TA, Duffy CM, Lee RE, Billington CJ, Kotz CM, and JP Nixon, 2014. Use of a caspase multiplexing assay to determine apoptosis in a hypothalamic cell model. Journal of Visualized Experiments (JoVE), accepted manuscript, in press.
- Butterick TA, Billington CJ, Kotz CM, and JP Nixon, 2013. Orexin: Pathways to obesity resistance? Reviews in Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders, 14(4):357-64.
- Butterick TA, Nixon JP, Billington CJ, Kotz CM, 2012. Orexin A decreases lipid peroxidation and apoptosis in a novel hypothalamic cell model. Neuroscience Letters, 524(1): 30-4.
- Kotz CM, Nixon JP, Butterick TA, Perez-Leighton CE, Teske JA, Billington CJ, 2012. Brain orexin promotes obesity resistance. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1264(1): 72-86.
- Nixon JP, Kotz CM, Novak CM, Billington CJ, Teske JA, 2012. Neuropeptides controlling energy balance: orexins and neuromedins. Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology, 209: 77-109.
- Nestrasil I, Michaeli S, Liimatainen T, Rydeen CE, Kotz CM, Nixon JP, Hanson T, and PJ Tuite, 2010. T1ρ and T2ρ MRI in the evaluation of Parkinson's disease. Journal of Neurology, 257(6): 964-968.
- Nixon JP, Zhang M, Wang C, Kuskowski M, Novak CM, Levine JA, and CM Kotz, 2010. Evaluation of a quantitative magnetic resonance imaging system for whole body composition analysis in rodents. Obesity, 18(8): 1652-1659.
- Castillo-Ruiz A, Nixon JP, Smale L, and AA Nunez, 2010. Neural activation in arousal and reward areas of the brain in day-active and night-active grass rats. Neuroscience, 165(2): 337-349.
- Nixon, JP and L Smale, 2007. A comparative analysis of the distribution of immunoreactive orexin A and B in the brains of nocturnal and diurnal rodents. Behavioral and Brain Functions, 3: 28 (13 Jun 2007).