Minneapolis VA Health Care System
VA community care for Veterans provides local care in the community through approved non-VA medical providers for the Minneapolis VA Health Care System and its VA Clinics. For Community Care questions please call 612-467-6565.
Under the MISSION Act, you’ll have more ways to access health care. This includes within VA’s network and through approved non-VA medical providers in your community, called “community care providers". Depending on your situation, for example, if a certain type of health service isn’t provided by VA, you may be able to go to a non-VA provider using your VA coverage.
Making appointments with non-VA providers
To obtain community care, you must receive prior approval from VA. Call 612-467-6565 for community care appointment scheduling, weekdays, 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
Urgent and walk-in care
Your VA health care includes new urgent care access through a network of walk-in retail health clinics and urgent care facilities.
Veterans must have been seen in the VA system or by a VA community care provider within the last 24 months in order to use this benefit. If a Veteran arrives at an urgent care location and has any difficulty receiving care, they can call 1-866-620-2071.
Community care billing
Call 1-877-881-7618 with community care billing questions.
How copays and insurance work with VA
The MISSION Act improves information sharing with community providers.
Important contact information
- Notify the VA of an Emergency Department visit, call 1-844-724-7842 or email VHAEmergencyNotification@va.gov
- Notify the VA of an unscheduled inpatient admission, call 1-844-724-7842 or email VHAEmergencyNotification@va.gov
- Request to transfer a patient to the Minneapolis VA Medical Center, call 612-467-2019
- Travel or ambulance billing question, call 612-467-2019 (24/7)
- Triwest billing question, call 1-855-722-2838 (M-F, 8 a.m.–4 p.m.)
- Optum VA Community Care website
- Co-payment question, call 1-866-347-2352 (M-F, 8 a.m.–4 p.m.)
- For any other billing question, call 1-877-881-7618 (M-F, 8 a.m.–4 p.m.)
- If you have a question about your eligibility, call 612-467-1991 (24/7)
One Veterans Drive,
Minneapolis, MN 55417
Hours of Operation
9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.