Minneapolis VA Health Care System
Nutrition and Food Services
What is a Registered Dietitian?Registered Dietitians (RDs) are the food and nutrition experts. Registered Dietitians have extensive education and training to promote healthy lifestyle choices and help manage numerous medical issues. Registered Dietitians can create a personal nutrition plan for individuals of all ages. They will separate facts from fads and give you information that you can use.
RDs and Nutrition ServicesWithin the Minneapolis VA, RDs work as part of the healthcare team in the treatment and prevention of disease by offering nutrition services. Together with your Dietitian, you will set nutrition goals to improve your health.
Medical Nutrition Therapy provided by an RD includes:
- Review of what you eat and your personal eating habits
- Complete review of your overall nutrition health
- Explanation of how food plays a role in illness and/or your overall health
- Personal nutrition plan
Top 5 Reasons to Visit an RD for Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Help with management of diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and other chronic illnesses
- You have digestive problems
- You need to gain or lose weight
- You want to eat smarter, including foods you enjoy into a healthy lifestyle
- You feel like you know what to eat but have trouble following through
- Ask your Primary Care clinic about scheduling a Nutrition appointment; we can usually accommodate same-day walk-in appointments
- Call 612-467-2004 to self-schedule
Food doesn't just fuel your body, it affects all aspects of your wellbeing. Learn more about nutrition and your health in our recent recipe newsletters.
- Cutting Out Gluten? / Shrimp Taco Recipe (NEW)
- Vegetable Substitutes (NEW)
- Pumpkin Pie Mousse
- Maple Whipped Cream
- Veggie Roasting Guide
- Nutrition and Eye Health
- Have You Eaten Soy Today?
- Chickpeas and Fiber
- Beta Carotene and Heart Health
- Cocoa and Cognitive Health
- Using Proper Knife Skills
Check out these videos for cooking ideas to try at home. You can find more Healthy Teaching Kitchen demo videos on the VA's YouTube site.
Healthy Teaching Kitchen
Learn how to cook new and interesting recipes to support your health and wellness goals. Classes are provided through demonstrations with the option to sample recipes prepared.
Cohorts offered at various dates throughout the year.
For more information, call 612-467-2004.
Cardiac class is a 1-hour class offered weekly on Fridays to anyone with risk of OR diagnosis of heart disease. This class reviews risk factors for heart disease and reviews your own personal lab data. It discusses how you can control your risk factors through what you eat, including how dietary fiber, fat, sodium, cholesterol and added sugars play a role in your health and risk factors.
For more information or to schedule, call 612-467-2004.
Diabetes Education Classes Available at Minneapolis VA Health Care Systems
MOVE! Weight Loss Program
MOVE! is a weight management, health promotion program designed to help improve the lives of Veterans. With the help of your MOVE! care team, you can reduce health risks, prevent or reverse certain diseases, improve your quality of life, and even live longer.
For more information on the Minneapolis VA MOVE! Program please call 612-629-7388 or visit the MOVE! website.
Minneapolis VAHCS prepares food from scratch or convenience scratch whenever possible to achieve the healthiest version of recipes. We strive to meet the goals of the VHA Healthy Diet initiative and we routinely sample the foods before service to inpatient Veterans.
Our department is responsible for all inpatient feeding for hospitalized Veterans. We take pride in delivering safe and healthy meals by friendly staff. If you would like to be part of our team, check USAJobs for available positions.
One Veterans Drive,
Minneapolis, MN 55417
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.