Minneapolis VA Health Care System
The Department of Veterans Affairs understands the health care needs of women Veterans and is committed to meeting these needs. “She served, she deserves the best care anywhere.”
The Minneapolis Women Veterans Comprehensive Health Center (WVCHC) was established in 1993 and Erin Krebs, MD is the Women’s Health Medical Director (pictured above). The WVCHC is an interdisciplinary clinic, designed to provide collaborative and comprehensive care. In addition to providing primary care in our clinic, we also offer gynecology, urology/gynecology and mental health care within our designated space.
Some program highlights include:
- Gynecology services
- Breast exams and mammography
- Family planning and contraceptive services
- Menopause treatment
- Infertility evaluation and treatment
- Maternity Care CoordinationWomen's Imaging Center
- Sexual trauma counseling
- Women’s Comprehensive Primary Care at VA Community Clinics
Leading and living strong after facing adversity...
From an early age, Trista knew she wanted to be in the military, and she proudly served in three branches. For a long time, she didn't acknowledge the effects that military sexual trauma was having on her life. After years of not recognizing the emotional effects of her experience, she told a VA counselor about it and changed her life for the better.
For Women Veterans, VA is Here
Women Veteran Program Managers are available at each VA Medical Center nationwide to assist women Veterans and coordinate services. Women Veterans who are interested in receiving care at VA should contact the nearest VA Medical Center.
Women Veterans are assigned to a designated Women’s Health Primary Care Provider who can provide general primary care and is specially trained or experienced in women’s care.
Whole Health - It's All About You
VA’s Whole Health System offers women Veterans proactive and personalized health care—empowering you to achieve your greatest level of health and well-being. Whole Health means the Whole You. From integrative health approaches like stress reduction, nutrition, and health coaching, to traditional clinical care and complementary health approaches—your journey to Whole Health starts here.
Proactive, integrative health approaches such as:
- Health coaching
- Mind-body therapies and stress reduction
- Nutrition and weight management
- Peer support and community resources
- Programs to stop spoking
- Physical therapy and chiropractic services
You will be at the center of a Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT). A provider, nurse, and others will engage with you to manage your health care.
- Primary care: includes general medical care for acute and chronic conditions, such as chronic pain, high blood pressure, and diabetes
- Preventive care: includes immunizations and cancer screenings, such as mammogram, Pap, and colonoscopy
- Gender-specific care
- Birth control
- Family planning and preconception counseling
- Maternity and newborn care (first 7 days after birth)
- Osteoporosis screening and management
Gynecology Health Services
Evaluation and treatment for:
- Abnormal Pap test
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Pelvic pain
- Gynecologic cancers
Evaluation, counseling, and treatment for:
- Depression, mood, and anxiety disorders
- Alcohol and drug use and addiction
- Coping with illness
- Intimate partner violence/sexual and domestic abuse
- Military sexual trauma (MST)
- Parenting and caregiver concerns
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Stress adjustment from deployment
- Management of chronic or complex conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and fibromyalgia, as well as HIV/AIDS and hepatitis
- Surgery programs available at most Medical Centers
- Rehabilitation, homebound, and long-term care VA referrals are given to those in need of rehabilitation therapies, such as physical therapy, occupational therapy
VA referrals are given to those in need of rehabilitation therapies, such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language therapy, exercise therapy, recreational therapy, and vocational therapy.